Sometimes you get into a culinary rut and as much as you want inspiration to strike, it’s not coming. For this distancedishes date, Amanda had a night to herself and treated herself to a dinner she found quite exciting. Feeling a bit gloomy and uninspired that weekend, I was much more excited to lay in the fetal position and feel sorry for myself. Still wondering what I would make, even a few hours before our skype session, I thought that I would make something for those nights when nothing sounds good.
Sometimes, you’ve just been really on point all week and you’re just tired of bringing it. Sometimes you feel like you’ve been doing the same old thing for all your dinners lately and everything is so…blah. Sometimes, its a weeknight and you had a long day at work and just need food. Sometimes, you don’t want to deal but your tummy is still a-grumblin. All of that is fine. You should still probably eat though.
I know there have been quite a few pizza type things from me lately, but it’s so easy if you take a few shortcuts and I’ve been in the mood for easy lately, okay? It’s comfort food with its cheesy and bready goodness and you can make it as easy or fancy as your heart desires (and depending on where you are in your food rut). A buffalo chicken pizza is pretty low maintenance, especially if you get creative with the crust (go store-bought, or hey, use a tortilla, whatever). It’s a nice break from the traditional tomato and cheese flavors but still so comforting. Give it a try when you’re feeling good or just need a break, it’s great for all times!
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (however you wanna get there, store bought rotisserie, some instant pot breasts, or just bake)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (plus a little extra)
- 3-4 green onions, chopped with whites and greens divided
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing.
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese
- Salt & Pepper as desired.
- Pizza crust of your choice (see above–yeah I did not go homemade this time)
- Cornmeal for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 425°F for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the buffalo chicken spread, stir together shredded chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce, the whites of the green onions and salt and pepper if you would like. If you’re using cold chicken, it may take some effort for this to come together and I would recommend a stand mixer. If you’re really not feeling cooking, you can stop here, warm this up and curl up with a bowl of this and some corn chips and dip to your heart’s content. We usually make this as just a dip for potlucks (some ranch dressing in it makes it even better!).
- Roll our pizza crust onto a peel or baking sheet dusted with cornmeal. Brush your ranch dressing onto the crust, leaving about 1/2 inch unbrushed on the outside all over.
- Spread your buffalo chicken spread evenly onto the pizza and top with the mozzarella cheese evenly. Sprinkly the greens of the green onions on top.
- Bake on the baking sheet or pizza stone/steel (or both) for 20-25 minutes until crust is cooked, cheese is melted and a little bubbly, and everything is a little golden. Remove the pizza from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing–everything usually becomes a melty mess if I try it before cooling. Drizzle a little extra hot sauce over the pizza so you feel fancy, slice, serve and enjoy while you await for culinary inspiration to return to your life.
Wine Pairing: ugh, I don’t know, what do we even have? Yeah ok, pour me some of that.
But seriously if you have more energy than I had, a dry Rose, Riesling or even Champagne would be a nice match.