Merideth and I have had a lot of fun in the past coming up with foods I inspired by our favorite movies and t.v. shows, and I’ve been itching to try bison since I saw it unexpectedly at my grocery store, so the premiere of Westworld last month was perfect! Much easier to figure out than this season’s plot, so far 🙃
I used hickory salt to give this chili a Western type flavor along with the seared vegetables, but feel free to substitute with 3tbs of liquid smoke at the end. If you can’t find bison, ground beef is a just as tasty (though not as lean) alternative.
- 2lbs ground bison
- 1 8oz can each, red and black beans
- 1 8oz can hominy
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 corn cobs
- 1 bottle dark or amber beer
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- Olive oil
- hickory salt
- 2tbs oregano
- 2tbs cumin
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
- Crumble bison and season with hickory salt and pepper. Brown in grill pan over high heat.
- Do not drain pan. Coat peppers and other vegetables with olive oil and season with hickory salt. Sear vegetables on all sides using tongs, until tomatoes and peppers have blistered.
- Dice vegetables, slicing roasted kernels off the corn cobs. Add to large soup pot or, if using slow cooker, to slow cooker bowl.
- Add ground bison, onion, garlic, beans, sessonings, and hominy to pot.
- Pour bottle of beer into pot, adding more water one empty 8oz can at a time as necessary.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or, if using slow cooker, cook 4 hours on high.