Merideth and I are both runners, and that means getting back from early morning races having to prioritize going back to sleep or having a nutritious breakfast. This quick prep oatmeal solves both of these problems (eventually). Also handy for, let’s face it, mornings you just want to go back to bed for just a little bit longer.
Like some of our other recipes, this oatmeal is flexible to your preferred ingredients. In this case, I used the blueberries and almonds I had on hand, but granola, walnuts, and/or strawberries (or chocolate chips…) would be good too!
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup oats
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries or raisins
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbs honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut
- Arrange sliced bananas on bottom of slow cooker. Top with raisins or other preferred fruit.
- In separate bowl, combine oats, nuts (if using), cinnamon, and salt. Add milk, honey and vanilla and stir.
- Pour oatmeal mixture over bananas. Top with any remaining ingredients and coconut.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, or until oatmeal is cooked through.
Wine Pairing: Mimosas, of course!