While reality television has never quite captured my attention, Amanda has recently gotten me hooked on a little show about the elite of Charleston called Southern Charm. The fourth season recently premiered and the Amanda household was kind enough to include me via Skype for their premier-watching party. Naturally, I wanted to make a meal that allowed me to feel the elegance and flavors of the south and to celebrate with the Florida crew in spirit.
I wanted to make something light, summery, and fancy-feeling that both touched on a southern classic (pimento cheese! yum!) but also represented the class of our favorite character on the show. Therefore, this trio of tea sandwiches–two savory and one sweet–was the perfect option for a viewing party (even if it was a party of one) and let me pretend I was one of the Southern Charm gang at one of their fancy garden parties (but without any drama or drinks thrown in faces).
Spicy Cilantro Cucumber Sandwich:
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
- Combine cilantro, spinach, chiles, jalapeno and lime juice in a food processor and pulse until you have a fine puree. Add this mixture to a small bowl with the cream cheese and stir until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto 3 of the white bread slices and top with cucumber slices. Top with the other 3 slices of bread to form 3 separate sandwiches.
- Trim edges and slice into triangles, and they are now ready to serve!
Pimento & Pulled Chicken Tea Sandwich:
- 4 oz of cream cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 4 oz jar of pimento peppers, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 slices of white bread
- Mix together the all ingredients (it does make it a bit easier if the chicken is still warm).
- Spread onto 3 slices of the white bread as thick and even as you can manage.
- Top with the other 3 slices of white bread to form 3 sandwiches.
- Trim edges and slice into triangles. Ready to serve!
Sweet Strawberry Mascarpone Tea Sandwich
- 3/4 cup of strawberries, trimmed of greens and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz mascarpone cheese
- Loaf of angel food cake or pound cake
- 3-4 large strawberries, trimmed of greens and sliced longways-thinly
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the strawberries, sugar and salt and cook for about 5 minutes until the sugar is liquified and the strawberries are mushy
- Pass this mixture through a fine sieve to filter out the seeds and allow to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, mix together the strawberry puree and the mascarpone cheese until fully incorporated and there are no white specs in the cheese.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the cheese to cool.
- Slice the angel food cake/pound cake into 1/4″ thick slices.
- Spread the strawberry mascarpone onto one slice of bread and then top with sliced strawberries. Add another slice of the cake to the top. Trim edges and slice into triangles. Ready to Serve!
Drink Pairing: With these yummy sandwiches, I decided to forego wine this time in favor of a more Charleston representative cocktail: 2 parts firefly sweet tea vodka, 2 parts pink lemonade and 1 part firefly peach tea moonshine. Be warned though, these little numbers are tasty and dangerous.