Amanda and I recently had a girls getaway weekend at the beach, and did all the things we love together. Which is to say, there was a lot of show bingeing, pajamas, wine, and cooking involved that weekend. There was also an unfinished puzzle and some incriminating pictures taken of us in face masques, but that’s neither here nor there. I’m currently having the luxury of living within driving distance of Amanda temporarily, and one of the things I missed living so far away from her was my brunch buddy. Weekend morning breakfast indulgences with friends is one of my favorite things (makes me feel like a true millennial) so I knew I wanted to make us both a hearty breakfast to start our weekend of netflix….must stay energized for such a grueling day.
This sandwich’s deliciousness is in it’s customization. It is a fluid recipe and you could change out the vegetables or cheeses to your preferences. However the version pictured, which was made for two, involves:
2 sub rolls from your favorite bakery
4 eggs, scrambled
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 lb of ground chorizo
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Grate Parmesan cheese, amount to your preference, although I would also recommend a sharp cheddar
- Slice the sub rolls longways,3/4 of the way through if not pre-sliced.
- Heat the chorizo in a pan over medium heat and season with salt and pepper until starts to dissipate and chorizo is almost cooked through.
- Add the pepper and onions and cook the mixture until onions are slightly translucent and peppers are cooked.
- Spoon chorizo mixture onto the inside of each sandwich roll and spread on one side. Top with half of your cheese.
- Top the chorizo mixture with half the scrambled eggs on each sandwich and add more cheese to the top.
- You may need a napkin when eating this as it is a bit messy, but the heat from the chorizo is quite tasty!
Wine pairing: We happened to have some sangria on hand (recipe to come), however a mimosa could certainly never go wrong.