As the summer is getting into full swing, I am always craving to be outside this time of year. It’s the season to have a party in the backyard with friends gathered around the patio and the smell of meat on the grill. Unfortunately, Amanda and I are apartment bound at the moment and don’t quite have the backyard for epic grilling as our parents do. So, we wanted to cook a few dishes that remind us of all the tastes of summer while still being able to use our own kitchens. When I think of summer foods, burgers on the grill are one of the first things that comes to mind. How could I compete though with that chargrilled flavor that only fire (which I didn’t have) could provide? So, I wanted to make something that was still a burger, but with a twist. I’m also feeling the consequences of my structureless diet as of late, so I wanted to make something that might have a bit extra to freeze for later, and wouldn’t mess with my waistline. So, I present to you: The sweet potato and black bean burger! I had never had a veggie burger of any sort before this, and I must say, this is something I’m going to add to my regular meal rotation for sure.
To make this you will need:
2-3 small sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (I prefer to steam mine)
2 cups soaked and rinsed black bean (canned will work)
3/4 cups of oats
1/4 cup red onion
1/2 cup bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add oats to food processor and process until a powdery/floury consitency
- Combine onion and bell pepper in food processor and pulse until blended
- Mix sweet potato, black beans, onion/bell pepper mixture, egg and spices in a bowl and combine with your hands
- Roll handfuls of the mixture into balls and flatten to form a patty-repeat until you have 8 patties about 3/4″ thick.
- Place patty in a pan and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Enjoy on your favorite bun (I used a pretzel bun), with some avocado or whatever makes you happy!